The Virtual Private Network
A virtual private network (VPN) employs the use of a telecommunication system like the internet to enable its users a secure access to their company’s network. It allows a computer to upload and download data through a public network at the same time enjoying the security and functionality of a private network. Organizations, institutions, and even the government are known to use this type of technology. Clients can get leased or owned lines; however, these systems are known to be on the pricier side. Getting a VPN will provide you the same features at a much more reasonable price.
This type of hosting is perfect for:
All types of companies that use multiple computers will definitely benefit from using VPN. As a business organization progresses and decides to move forward, it might bring its office to other locations around the country or even abroad. It is then crucial for them to find a network technology that is fast and secure that will let them share important private information across a network of computers necessary to run their business from their central location.
VPN would be best for employees who constantly travel around like medical representatives and sales people. These people need a fast, reliable, and safe network so that they can connect to their organization’s computer network from the location they are currently in.
The best things about this hosting are:
The benefits of getting VPN are seemingly limitless. Whether you are a large company or a small, starting firm, taking advantage of a virtual private network will definitely be to your advantage. Below are the key benefits of getting VPN for your company:
- A VPN provides enhanced security through authentication and encryption. That is why when you choose to connect through VPN, information shared will be kept secured.
- Remote access. One of most important advantages of a virtual private network is it allows its users to connect and access data from a central computer. Whether you are at home or in an office in another location, you can get hold of information from your central office.
- Since not all computers are connected to a single network hence there is less load, a virtual private network usually transfers data at a faster rate.
- A very important feature of a VPN is flexibility. This type of network is highly customizable to better suit your company’s needs.
- Improved scalability. Compared to getting a dedicated private network, a virtual private network offers better scalability. VPNs simply tap into readily available public lines avoiding scalability problems that other technologies might encounter.
- Reduced cost. VPNs eliminate the need for you to get expensive leased lines. You also do not need to make expensive long distance calls as you only have to call your local ISP so they can connect you through your branch office. Moreover, because this form of network requires less maintenance, money meant for upkeep is fairly minimal compared to others.
The not-so-good stuff:
Along with its benefits, employing a virtual private network has also its disadvantages. One such disadvantage is that VPNs are very much dependent on the internet. Any fluctuations you encounter with your internet connection can greatly affect the performance of your VPN. Also, VPNs need you to have extensive understanding of network security issues and the necessary precautions to prevent them.
Although VPNs provide you heightened security, it does not exempt you from having issues with security. With the growing sophistication of hackers these days, VPNs can hold you susceptible to a security breach with them accessing the vital information you share.
What we think…
The numerous advantages you get from a getting a VPN is not to be undervalued. If you wish to have enhanced security at the same time trim down on the overall cost of operations, getting a virtual private network is perfect for you.