Businesses today have their own websites. It is the trend today if you want to reach out to a lot of people on the internet. If you have an e-commerce site, you can have a wider reach and your sales will increase. You are no longer limited to the market in your area. With the internet, you can expand and advertise at much lower prices.
The reason why you are reading this article is that you are looking for the best web hosting solution for your business. You will notice that you have two choices: Unix or Windows.
The UNIX Web Hosting
Unix hosting makes use of a Unix-based operating system that was initially designed to be used for servers. This type of hosting is more affordable than Windows since it is a free open source so you do not have to spend a lot on licensing and support.
The Type of Hosting is Perfect for
UNIX web hosting is appropriate for businesses and even personal websites that are looking for a more affordable web hosting. If you are looking for more stability and uptime, UNIX is the best choice for you since they are known to be very stable. Windows on the other hand will require booting more often.
The Best Things about this Hosting are
UNIX web hosting is well known to excel in the following:
- When it comes to stability, you can expect UNIX to be the winner. It has the ability to handle server loads than Windows. UNIX does not require rebooting so much so there is more uptime and reliability.
- Compatibility is not an issue in UNIX. If you are going to migrate to Windows server, web design and programs can be easily moved and migrated.
- Websites start small and then later on expand. UNIX web hosting is able to handle the growth of your website.
- When we talk about the price of UNIX web hosting, you can save more because there are no licenses to worry about. This is free to download, install and operate.
- Unix is an independent platform. Anyone can access the website regardless of the operating system that they are using.
- There are no editions of Unix like those standard edition of Windows. You can use UNIX web hosting if you are going to host your site on a shared server.
The Not-So-Good Stuff
UNIX web hosting has its downsides as well. The list below will help you in making your decision whether to opt for this type of web hosting or not.
- If you are not a very techie person, you may find UNIX to be not-so-user-friendly. While Windows boasts about its ease of use, UNIX does not get to have that because it can be quite challenging. You will need to learn some few things on how the operating system works.
- The availability of UNIX in the market is not that abundant as compared to the availability of Windows. If you are planning to change to UNIX, you may need to search more.
- UNIX web hosting is not advised for those who are going to avail of dedicated server.
What We Think
Unix hosting is indeed more affordable than Windows and this can be good for your business because you are able to save a lot. Your overhead is lessened and there are no licenses to worry about. Making the decision to avail of UNIX web hosting will depend on your requirements. UNIX can support multimedia content including PHP, MySQL, and CGI.
UNIX-based hosting is more stable and you can expect a faster performance. You can run smooth on this type of hosting unless you are going to develop on .NET or Visual Basic because Windows will then be needed.